Drones will play an important role during Campus Party Europe. The Drone Zone will facilitate interesting drone companies and organizations as well as international speakers. The eye-catcher is definitely the international indoor drone race: The Kamera Express Cup 2016. We will build a spectacular fast and technical track decorated with bright LED’s and other special effects that will hold obstacles in the air and on the ground.
About the race
The race consist about 3 sections, free-practice, Qualification and the race.
The qualification is open for everybody on this way you can race the best racers from the drone community. The 32 fastest lap time pilots will start on Saturday on the elimination rounds. A breathtaking chase through the obstacle course is guaranteed, will the experienced pilots fly better than the highly motivated youngsters? As they will fly with 4 drones at the same time, passing gates and cutting corners is a defined art in drone racing.
Every pilot will be given the opportunity to practice at least 3 times 5 laps on the course. The official practice session will be on Friday from 14:00 to 18:00 but you can also practice on the racetrack on Thursday in the afternoon and evening.
From Friday afternoon pilots can qualify. You can choose what day you want to do this, Friday or Saturday. You don’t have to qualify on both there is also time for some freestyle sessions. Full instructions and briefing will be shared 2 weeks before the event starts.
Qualification for the race will be done via a time trial. The fastest 32 qualification times will enter the final race on Saturday. Qualification will consist of 3 x 3 laps, not including the first lap and the final lap. Timing will be done with a IR LED tag provided by FormulaFPV which needs to be installed on the quad. This tag will have a servo connector and only needs a 5v power source.
The final elimination rounds will be held on Saturday the 28th May from 13:00 to 17:00. The race will be held between the 32 fastest qualifiers. There will be 4 pilots per heat. We will be using a ‘double elimination’ system. This way a first elimination will give you a second chance in the losers section of the system and will still make it possible for you to reach the final 4. The final is 1 race only. If you want more details about the double elimination system please read this.
Before the competition, each quad that will be used, up to a maximum of 3 per pilot, will get a technical inspection. This inspection will check the following:
- Weight: up to 1 kg
- Size: max 330 mm diagonal between the rotors
- Propeller size: up to 6 inches, metal and carbon fiber NOT allowed.
- Transmitter power: 25mW Raceband
- Failsafe setting: this must be in the engine off
- Arm Switch: The quad need that trip immediately the engine of the quad emergency switch.
Pilot position/ground station
For the pilots, permanent positions with ground stations are created which can not be changed. Only equipment proved by FormulaFPV may be used. These positions are paired to the appointed channel. The pilot position with a ground station will consist of the following parts.
- Diversity receiver with directional patch antennas
- A power box with power and AV out connections
- 1 cable with 4-pin 3.5mm to connect to the video glasses of the pilot
- 1 Cable with quanum v2 glasses for jury members
- 3 chairs. Pilot/co-pilot/jury
- The champion of the Kamera Express Cup at Campus Party Europe will receive the official cup and a cheque of € 500 from Kamera Express.
- The final 4 will receive a professional race frame from Space One FPV.
- The ‘fastest lap’ will also be rewarded.
Friday 27 may afternoon
Friday 27 may evening
Saturday 28 may morning
Saturday 28 May afternoon
- 12:00-14:00 Break
- 14:00-16:45 Last 16 > Last 8 > Last 4 > Champion
- 16:45-17:00 Award ceremony
- 17.00-18.00 Official press and ceremony events for the champion
- 18:00-??? Enjoy Campus Party Europe and grand party
Check our event update on our Facebook page here.